Admission, Degree and Programs at Community Colleges in the US

Types of Degrees Offered by Community Colleges in United States

Community College offers two-year associate degrees, one-year certificates, and short career studies certificates.

Associate Degree
An associate degree is a 2 year undergraduate degree. An associate degree program consists of three parts: major requirements, general education requirements and electives.
Completing the first two years of a bachelor’s degree at a two-year college can save the student several thousand dollars. A variety of technical, career-oriented degrees offered by two-year colleges can lead to employment immediately after the student completes his/her associate degree.

Diplomas and Certification at Community Colleges
Community Colleges offer non-degree programs that award diplomas and certificates, as well. These can last from a few weeks to several months. They are intended for students who want to learn a particular skill without pursuing educational requirements for a degree. Many Community Colleges let students use credits earned through these programs to earn an associate's degree.

Admission Requirement for Community College in the United States

If you have a high school diploma or the equivalent, or you are at least 18 years of age, and you are able to benefit from enrollment, you are eligible for admission in Community College.  Home School Students and transfer students, when meet admission requirement are also eligible for Community colleges.

Admission Requirement for Associate Degree

If you're looking to get your associate degree, you may need to provide:
  •     An application and application fee
  •     Official school transcripts from an accredited high school or accredited GED scores
  •     SAT or ACT scores
  •     Placement test scores (AP)
If you were home schooled, you need to be at least 16 years old and provide a copy of a signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.

International students
If you're in the U.S. on an approved visa or status, you may be eligible to study at a community college. Check with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to see if your visa or status makes you eligible.

Dual enrollment for high school students
Dual enrollment allows students to earn college credit while still in high school.  If you are a high school junior or senior, or the home school equivalent, you may be able to take courses under certain conditions.
High school students who want to take classes at a community college should check with the college they would like to attend to find out what their specific requirement s for high school dual enrollment students. Requirements vary by school.

Tips For Admission to Community colleges
  • You are also strongly advised to take the English placement test as soon as you are admitted since demonstrated English ability is required for enrollment in most courses.
  • Students are accepted on a first-come/first-served basis, except in restricted programs or when enrollment is limited in the most community colleges.
  • It is important for you to apply early to the College if you are interested in being admitted to a particular curriculum.
  • High school transcripts are not generally required, but are useful for academic advancement to ensure your success in your chosen curriculum and to evaluate for college-level courses.  Transcripts may be required in some cases, i.e., prior to dual enrollment, or to verify prerequisites for college-level courses.

Programs Offered by Community Colleges

Business Management Marketing and Related Support services
Health Profession and Related Clinical Sciences
Drafting/Design Engineering Technologies/Technicians
Mining and Petroleum Technologies/Technicians
Electrical Engineering Technologies/Technicians
Industrial Production Technologies/Technicians
Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities
Security and Protective Services
Mechanic Repair and Technologies/Technician
Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
Visual and Performing Arts
Parks,  Leisure, Recreation and Fitness Studies
Precision Production
Personal and Culinary Services
Legal Professions and Studies
Construction Trades
Agriculture, Agriculture Sciences, and Related Sciences
Communication Technologies/Technicians and Support Services
Public Administration Social and Social Service Professions
Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
Communication, Journalism and Related Programs
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Transportation and Materials Moving
Physical Sciences
Foreign Language, Literature and Linguistics
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
English Language and Literature/Letters
Science Technologies/ Technicians
Architecture and Related Services
Area, Ethnic, Cultural, and General Studies
Library Science
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Military Technologies

Related Links

Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...

Usa Select a Country

Our Network :