Identifying the Right School for Your Child
As a parent, you can help your child choose his or her school. There are more than 1,600 colleges to choose from including community colleges. A parent would be the best guide for his or her child helping them to identify schools that would suit their need. It’s a journey of your child but this journey would be incomplete without your participation.
There is no short-cut solution in choosing the right college for you, yet your child can start by asking these questions:
- Is your child interested in a 2-year or a 4-year college? A 2-year college gives an associate degree while a 4-year college gives a bachelor’s degree. A 2-year college is the path for a 4-year bachelor’s degree.
- Do you want your child to go to a private or a public college? Many students do not opt for private colleges because of expense factor. Financial aid can make private colleges affordable too.
- Are you comfortable with your child traveling a distance for college? Many decide on the school depending upon the location. Encourage your child to apply to schools away from home so that options do not remain limited.
- The most important question while identifying the school for your child is the major he or she wants to do in college. Your child should analyze the subjects she or he liked to study in high school. This will help him or her to choose the major in college.
- For many students campus size does matter. They prefer to study only in colleges which have a big name, a big brand value and a big campus. Well, most community colleges which do not have an emphatic size offer quality courses.
- As a parent, you have to take the cost factor into account while helping your child select the school. Calculate the cost for your child’s higher education while selecting the school.