You just discovered a small white packet in your teenage son's room, your heart skips a beat and your mind doesn't want to think the unthinkable. You don't know what to say and how to deal with the situation. You confront your son and he gets mad at you, and yes your worst fear has come true that your son is taking drugs. Such issues are fast becoming common, yet dealing with them is equally difficult.Dealing with the problem
- Maintain calm. Don't overreact
- Talk to them. Be polite while talking to them, make them feel that you are concerned and not angry at them.
- Keep an eye on their activities.
- Visit a doctor or admit him/her to rehabilitation center, if you think that situation is out of hand.
As a parent you are are confused that why your child started using drugs. You start blaming yourself and feel that as a parent you have failed . But that's not true, it has nothing to do with the parent(s). Children do drugs for various other reasons. Common reasons
- Peer pressure
- Family issues
- Desire to rebel
- Low self-esteem
Above is the case when your child is already doing drugs, but avoiding such situation is the best thing.Prevention
- To keep a check on your children's day -to-day activities.
- Be a part of their life, listen to them , talk to them.
- Tell them about the consequence of taking up such a habit.
- Lastly, set deadline and stick to them.
Being a part of your child life, provides them with the emotional support they want during their teenage year. And remember parents have more influence over their child than anything or anyone else!!!