USMLE - Format
Below is the format of the United States Medical Licensing Examination(
- Step 1
- 322 multiple-choice test items
- Divided into seven 60-minute blocks
- Administered in one eight-hour testing session.
- Step 2 CK
- 346 multiple-choice test items
- Divided into eight 60-minute blocks
- Administered in one nine-hour testing session
- Step 2 CS
- You will be given 12 patient cases, for which you will have 15 minutes for each patient and 10 minutes to record each patient note. If you finish the case before 15 minutes alloted for the patient encounter, the remaining time will be added to the your time to record the patient note.
- The testing session is approximately eight hours.
- Step 3
- 480 multiple-choice test items
- Divided into blocks of 35 to 50 items. You will have 45 to 60 minutes to complete each of these blocks.
- The number of computer-based case simulations may vary, but will generally be in the range of 9 to 12 cases.
- There may be one or two cases in each block and the maximum time allowed per block will be in the range of 22 to 25 minutes.
- For Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3
- For the Multiple-choice sections in each of the above steps, the questions are to be answered during the allotted time to complete the test.You can answer the questions in any order except for the questions mentioned for sequential answering. You can review your responses and change answers. Once you exit the block, or the time expires, you can no longer make changes or answer the questions.
- Step 2 CS cases and Step 3
- All the case simulations must be answered in the order as given. Once you exit the case or the time expires, you can no longer review test items or cases and change answers.