Federal Student Aid for Non-US Citizens

The US Education System gives equal opportunity of study and learning to everyone. Federal Student Aid are available to non-US citizen as well.

Who is an eligible non US citizen?

You are eligible for federal student aid  if you are U.S. national and native of American Samoa or Swain’s Island. US permanent resident with a Form I-551,  I-151, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, or Alien Registration Receipt Card), also known as a green card also falls under the category of US non citizen. If you have a T-visa or your parents hold a T-1 visa or if you are a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act, you are considered to be an eligible non US citizen. Citizens of Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau are also eligible non US citizens eligible for federal student aid.

Other categories that enlist you to be an eligible non US citizen are:

If you have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S.  Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing
  • “Refugee”
  • “Asylum Granted,”
  • “Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending),”
  • “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980), or
  • “Parolee” (you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are not in the United States for a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).
If you do not still fall under any of the categories, you could still hope for financial aid to support your studies in the US. You can check with your country’s embassy or consulate in the US to see what they offer in terms of financial aid.

Check the scholarship’s section to learn about various scholarships which students of all countries can use.

You are not eligible for federal student aid under the following circumstances:
  • if your permanent residence status has expired
  • if you have only a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence” (I-171 or I-464),
  • if you are in the U.S. on an F-1 or F-2 student visa, or on a J-1 or J-2 Exchange Visitor Visa, or
  • if you hold a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations)
Check with your college or school on the different scholarships and loans available for students.

For latest guidelines see official website of Federal Student Aid: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/eligibility/requirements/non-us-citizens
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...

Usa Select a Country

Our Network :